If you’re reading my blog, chances are you know what kale is. Chances are even greater that you’re mildy obsessed with it. If this hasn’t happened yet, just you wait, pretty soon you’ll be buying the 2 lb big bag and putting this green goodness into anything you can think of–and for good reason!
Kale gets its emerald green hue from high levels of two disease-fighting carotenoids (lutein and zeaxanthin). These nutrients are part of the cellular makeup of your eye and help protect those peepers against harmful blue light and ultimately macular degeneration–the leading cause of eyesight loss in Americans over 60.
You like to see right? (Rhetorical question obviously.) Seriously though, go buy some kale and make this raw salad (or my kale chips) and do your part to protect that precious vision. Life is too beautiful not to see it through.
Sweet Sesame Raw Kale Salad
What You’ll Need:
- 2 tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbs sesame seed oil
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, grated
- 6 cups (or handfuls) curly kale, chopped
How to Make It:
- Mix all ingredients except kale in a mason jar (or any small container with a snug lid). Give the contents a good shake until combined.
- Put chopped kale (stems removed) in a large mixing bowl. Pour dressing on top and massage kale (yes, massage) for 1-2 min until thoroughly coated. (Manipulating the raw kale like this helps the dressing seep into the leaves, softening the kale and making it easier to digest.)
- Cover and let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour. I like to leave mine overnight.
BONUS TIP: this makes for a yummy dressing on just about any salad. Try it over cold soba noodles or shredded romaine with some raw cashews, blood orange segments, and lightly pan-fried tofu for a healthy vegetarian lunch.