We live in a world addicted to sugar, it’s true, but going cold turkey doesn’t always work out so well. Deprivation can lead to yo-yo eating patterns, which won’t help you sustain your long-term healthy eating goals. A better approach that I often help my wellness clients take is making healthier versions of your favorite meals.
Dessert, while not the most essential of meals, is nonetheless an important food ritual many of us enjoy – and hey, life is best when enjoyed! One of my favorite challenges is finding ways to make sweets better for you without tasting like sawdust or bland ice.
With that in mind, I recently experimented with a Mango Coconut Popsicle recipe, spiced with ginger. Ginger is a superfood linked to relieving nausea, inflammation, pain and a whole host of digestive issues. I also threw some turmeric in there because, well, why not? It too has anti-inflammatory properties and might help your skin and joints look and feel their best.
This fast and tasty recipe is guilt-free and impossible to mess up. Bonus: any leftovers that won’t fit in your molds can be enjoyed on the spot as a healthy smoothie. Enjoy!
Spicy Mango-Coconut Popsicles
Servings: 6-8 popsicles
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mango
- 1/2 very ripe banana
- 1” fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2” fresh turmeric, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup whole fat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 8 oz unsweetened almond milk
- Blend ingredients in a high-speed blender for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle molds leaving about a 1/4” at the top. Any leftovers can be consumed like a smoothie – yum!
- Freeze for at least 3 hours, but ideally overnight.