Soups are normally a fall and winter staple in my diet, but having recently purchased a Vitamix I couldn’t help but try out one of my favorite recipes in my new toy. This recipe incorporates nutrient-dense carrots and sweet potatoes. These orange superstars contain alpha carotene, which protects against cancer, and beta carotene, which the body converts to vitamin A and helps prevent age-related macular degeneration. Almost all orange whole fruits and veggies may also have an anti-inflammatory effect, which is great news for all my runners and high-intesity athletes out there whose fitness takes a toll on their joints. Best of all, this recipe is incredibly easy to make and economical.
Vegan Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup
What You’ll Need:
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 lb carrots, chopped
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Jamaican All-Spice
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (double down if you like it spicy)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- 1 carton (or 32 oz) organic vegetable stock (low sodium)
How to Make It:
- Heat oil in a large (5-6 qt) saucepan over medium heat. Add onions sautéing 5-7 min or until tender and translucent.
- Add garlic, all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne and salt and pepper, cooking for another 2-3 min.
- Add sweet potatoes and carrot.
- Add vegetable stock, bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 15 min. The potatoes and carrots should be easy to pierce and pick up with a fork but not falling apart.
- Finally, use a standing or hand blender to purée the mixture in your saucepan until smooth.
- Adjust your seasoning for spice and saltiness. Serve hot and enjoy!
I poured this mixture into canning jars making it an easily transportable lunch for the office. Pair it with a side salad or some roasted veggies for a delicious, gluten- and dairy-free midday meal.